November 30, 2009

November 30

Sometimes it's tough to fight generalizations. The other day I was stopped at a red light behind a car from Nebraska and they would inch up every few seconds, eager to get going again. I couldn't help but tell everybody I saw by the end of the night what a hurry Nebraskans always seem to be in. No matter how much proof I have to contradict myself, I can't seem to shake the belief that all blacks have a little Aretha Franklin trying to get out. I really assume it is a birthright for blacks to have a good voice. No matter how many times I see them kicked off American Idol with good cause, I can't shake this generalization. I also can't resist the urge to ask my neighbors if they could sing for me. Sure, it makes things a little awkward, but if they'd just sing instead of call the cops on me, I think I would have all the proof I really need to back up my beliefs.

No comments:

Post a Comment